Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Starting a Dog Daycare


So, a business in which the dogs are free to play exciting, safe environment, under the supervision of experienced professionals. My dream. But there were obstacles. Wrung over the serious commuter, I wanted to work close to home, but not my home, in the second retreat, where I have enjoyed the peace and quiet. My starting the company in the world had left me a redundancy package, so I bought a little house by the business zone, which I will install even attractive, comfortable rooms at a dog that can be cleaned and disinfected, from top to bottom. I have studied the materials and equipment on the Internet, bought supplies, and sent the grand opening announcements.

Two days after sending the messages, I had neighbors who already hate me. On the opening day, Planning a bailiff came to tell me, I could not do business with my new position, even if it was commercially zoned. I had met him and city officials prior to the opening and the consensus was that no zoning laws is not my business. So I asked the Planning Board hearing. I arrived at night and hearing crowd of angry residents pack the hall outside the hearing room. A standing. When I tried to explain the state of the measures I had taken for noise and damage control, I called down. The government ordered to close up shop.

I hired a lawyer complained to me, a process that requires a few thousand dollars does not provide for its own business plan. However, I was on my way ... other worthy causes. I had not realized how ill-behaved dogs of other people may have (in their own angels are, of course). I guess I assumed everyone trained the dog enough that he was easy to live. Not so! My first couple of years, my duties took lunch, dropped me down, barked 'til your ears ring, had to be kept away when I had to get them, and pooped inside even hourly tours fenced yard. At the end of the day after cleaning all the rooms of the house itself, I went home numb and exhaustion. 70-hour weeks of rutin. I remember the years in which pain, invoices, bruises and Band Aids.

In two years, outgrew the dog I had in 1998. So let the plant in the same neighborhood and went on to grow the business. I bought a list of licensed dogs and their owners in the nearby town houses and ran a regular ad for the local newspaper. I have published online ads and coupons. I was a guest speaker at the Rotary Clubs and church groups. I had the "dogs and kids together," the show, I schlepped the elementary schools. Still, growth was slow, while the sky-high costs of the new lease, new employees and new equipment. I added a grooming salon in the new building, but had to get a profitable customer base uphill battle got to know us. The new building recession. We went into debt to pay the bills, thinking we would dig up a year or so. Things did improve by the year 2004 as we paid down debt and expanded. For years we struggled to grow back into the financial "cushion", and we were there when the wheels fell of the world economic cart in 2008. Business declined, and we hung up once again taking on debt.