Saturday, June 25, 2011

Dogs friendly Holiday


I went on holiday recently and I decided to include my pets. I have two cavaliers king Charles spaniels - one is just a year old and the other 3 months younger. I did not want to travel too far so I chose a destination about three hours drive from where we live. Once I had decided where we would go, next thing was to get busy on the internet to try and find accommodation.

I thought a cottage would be nice with an enclosed garden. Finding a pet friendly holiday cottage that would accept two dogs was not so easy. There were plenty of holiday cottages accepting one pet but not so much for two. Eventually I found one and booked it. It sounded ideal with an enclosed garden. Just what I was look for.

Time passed quickly and before I knew it the day came to leave for our vacation. There were three of us traveling in the car along with the two dogs. We only took two suitcases for ourselves but by the time we were ready to leave there was hardly a centimeter of space left in the car. The dogs were in the luggage compartment in their crate so the luggage and everything else had to be fitted inside the car. We needed to take their crate for sleeping in at night, their dog beds for during the day if they felt like a nap.


We managed to reach our destination without too much trouble. The dogs were good and slept most of the way. We fed them two to three hours before traveling as was advised and made sure they had drinks and a stop off for a little exercise. The cottage was lovely and the garden was in full bloom. The dogs took to it straight away. We were there for two weeks and the sun shone every day. We were so lucky with the weather and we were all able to enjoy the beautiful garden. The dogs loved traveling to new places each day and discovered the delights of ice cream.


The time we spent with our dogs on holiday was very precious and we will have lovely memories from our time there. I am so glad we decided to include the dogs on our vacation.